Sunday, July 8, 2007

Friendship: How To See It Through GOD'S Point Of View

This week we are going to talk about friendship, and, how to see it through GOD'S point of view. I will give you some background info on how my friendships come and go, and, one example of someone who is not worth talking to. No names will be mentioned throughout the study. Then, I will give the scripture, meaning, and, daily advice. Also, I am going to do a background about one friend each day, and, tell you why or why not I am friends with them anymore.

Background: I have made many friends throughout the years, that a lot of the time I wish I hadn't even encountered them at all. I always used to give my email address out to everyone that was giving theirs, and, found myself talking to probably 15 people that I had in my address book. Well, one day, I made this friend who semed nice, and, always wanted to talk about himself, and, never bothered asking about how I was doing. That was okay for now, but, this friend, would want to be cuddled and, always say something like,"I want to die." and, I felt like he was really going to do it. Then, one day, he forwarded an email a friend of his sent , saying he wanted to not be friends with him anymore cause of how he acted. So, That's when I decided to do the same thing. We parted ways, and, that was that.

Philippians 4:13: I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me.

Meaning: What GOD was talking about in the verse, is you can choose to have friends, but, you must be aware of what you are getting yourself into. If you feel like they don't live up to GOD'S standards, then, you need to let them go. Always put your trust in what GOD is saying to you about your friends. Don't trust them, trust GOD completely, and, you will have a clearer mind about friendship.

Daily advice: Always put your trust in GOD, and, remember that HE is in control no matter what you may or may not think. HE has the power over you, and, the decisions you make.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, I have to disagree with this post, most specifically with this:

Philippians 4:13: I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me.

Meaning: What GOD was talking about in the verse, is you can choose to have friends, but, you must be aware of what you are getting yourself into. If you feel like they don't live up to GOD'S standards, then, you need to let them go.

This verse has been misinterpreted...yes, as a believer you CAN do all things through Christ...but SHOULDN'T use this as a free pass to do things that are unbiblical, such as deserting a friend because they 'don't live up to God's standards.'

God doesn't encourage us to desert a Christian friend...that type of thinking comes from today's "throw away" society.

Let's take a look at what God has to say about sticking with a friend even when they're not 'up to His standards.'

Proverbs 17:17
A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

Galatians 6:1
Brothers, if someone is caught in a sin, you who are spiritual should restore him gently.

James 5:19-20
My brothers, if one of you should wander from the truth and someone should bring him back, remember this: Whoever turns a sinner from the error of his way will save him from death and cover over a multitude of sins.

1 John 3:16
This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers.

1 Peter 4:8
Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins.

Job 6:14
A despairing man should have the devotion of his friends, even though he forsakes the fear of the Almighty.

So, if you tell a friend that you love them and you won't hurt them, you should follow through with that - ESPECIALLY when things get tough.

If you cut everyone out of your life as soon as you find out they have faults, you will be left with no one. People will always disappoint, it is our nature...but we're called to forgive and stand by our friends regardless.

Anonymous